The UK has a range of universities and a few that are famous all over the world. In many cases the best known universities will either have been established as centres of excellence for centuries and/ or they may be modern day leaders in their field. Some of the most famous universities in the UK include:
- Cambridge: Cambridge is considered to be the second oldest university in the country. It was established in the 1200s by students from Oxford University. Often referred to in tandem with Oxford as Oxbridge, Cambridge is one of the most prestigious universities in the country, if not the world. The university operates on a college based system.
- Edinburgh University: Edinburgh University is regarded by many as being the top university in Scotland with a status similar to Oxford and Cambridge.
- Imperial College: Imperial College is a university that concentrates on scientific subjects. It was established in the early 1900s and is one of the best known and most effective universities of its type in the world.
- University of London: The University of London is an extremely highly regarded university on a global basis. It is home to the London School of Economics (LSE), University College London (UCL)
- Oxford: Oxford, probably initially established in the 11th century, is the oldest university in the UK. Often referred to in tandem with Cambridge as Oxbridge, Oxford is one of the leading universities in the world. It also has a college based system.
- Queens' University: Based In Belfast, Queen's University is considered to be the top Irish university.
- St Andrews: St Andrews is the oldest university in Scotland and the third oldest college in the UK. It is perhaps most famous in recent years for its time as the university that Prince William attended.